If you're using a Google Account through your school, you can copy and transfer your files to another Google Account. This process lets you:
- Back up your files from time to time
- Keep important files when you graduate, switch schools, or leave for another reason
Note: Because Google Takeout is an Additional Service, please obtain parental consent before allowing students under the age of 18 to transfer their data using Google Takeout.
What you can copy
You can copy and transfer these kinds of files from your school account to another Google Account:
- Email in Gmail (not contacts, chats, or tasks)
- Documents that you own in Google Drive (except files in the "Google Photos" section of Drive)
- Documents in My Drive
The original files stay in your school account. Any changes you make to the copied files don't affect the originals.
Copy & transfer your files
Each time you copy files from your school account, a new set of copies is created in your Google Account.
Create an account
If you haven't already, create a personal Google Account. Your new email address will be your firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prepare your files
To copy content that other people have shared with you, add those files to My Drive.
Start the copy process
- On your school account, go to Transfer your content.
- Enter the email address of the Google Account where you want to copy your content.
- Select Get code.
- On your Google Account, check your Gmail inbox for a confirmation email from Google. In the email, select Get confirmation code. A new tab will open with a code.
- On your school account, go back to the "Transfer your content" page. Enter the code, then choose Verify.
- Choose the content you'd like to copy, then select Start transfer.
Details about the copy process
- The copy process usually happens within a few hours, but it can take up to a week.
- Copied files might appear in batches on your Google Account during the copy process.
- When your files are finished copying, you'll get an email at your Gmail address.
View Transfer History
To see details about the content you've copied in the past 30 days:
- Go to Transfer your content.
- Select Manage transfer history.
Download files that aren't copied
To save your content from other Google products, you can download your data.
For example, you can download your Gmail contacts, your YouTube videos, and your photo albums in Google Photos.
More information on this subject can be found on Google's knowledgebase found here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6386856#zippy